Monday, August 23, 2010

Teaching Ministry?

I always assume that Eph 4 describes a fourfold ministry, whereas most teachers refer to five fold ministries. The extra one is the ministry of the “teacher”. My view is that the ministry of the teacher does not exist in the New Testament.

Ephesians 4:11 is fairly clear on this one. It has definite structure using the phrase “men de” in Greek, or “some to be” in English.

some to be apostles
some to be prophets
some to be evangelists
some to be pastors and teachers.
If Paul considered the teacher to be a distinct ministry, he would have written:
some to be pastors
and some to be teachers.
Because Paul did not write this, I have to assume that pastor and teacher is a single ministry.

Some Christians make the case for Teachers, by referring to a person like Derek Prince. I have learnt a lot from Derek Prince. God maybe raised him up for his time, because the church had lost so much truth. However, this does not mean that the Bible has a teaching ministry.

Paul is fairly clear that teaching by itself is dangerous. The reason is that knowledge puffs up.
We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up (1 Cor 8:1).
This is a serious problem with the so-called teaching ministry. Teaching just imparts knowledge, and knowledge puffs up. I know that many Christians have had their lives changed by listening to good teaching. However, I am sure that many more just listen and think to themselves that what they had read or heard was good. But then do nothing with it. I suspect that good teaching may have puffed up more Christians than it actually built up. That is what happens with knowledge is imparted apart from love.

I have done a lot of teaching over the years, but I am very realistic about the impact. I am always told that it is good teaching. However, it has rarely changed lives. In those times when my teaching did produce a change, it is because it was prophetic to the person listening.

A ministry that teaches and pastors (in the same way as Jesus discipled the twelve) combines truth with love, so it builds up. That is the biblical ideal.

No comments: