Monday, March 26, 2012

Disciples

I have always believed that discipling is really important. That is why my book called Being Church Where We Live has a chapter on it. However, I was never discipled myself, so I am not very good at it. I have just read Building a Discipling Culture by Mike Breen and Steve Cockram. These guys are not just talking about it, they are doing it. They have some really good advice. Here is one gem.

If you set out to build the church, there is not guarantee that you will make disciples. It is far more likely that you will create consumers who depend on the spiritual services provided by religious professionals.

If you make disciples, you will get the church.
The "shepherding movement" gave it a bad name during the 1970s by being heavyhanded. That is a pity, because discipling was what Jesus did, and it was effective for him, and those who followed him..

1 comment:

Eli Chitaka said...

I have also really enjoyed his writings.
I would say that if you have ever learnt anything from christ or another believer then you have been discipled and if anyone has ever learnt something from you then you have discipled them.
Discipleship as part of a program or formalized relationship has value but is only one small part of what it means to be a disciple/learner.
Shalom