The Hamas victory in the Palestinian election brings out a lot of ironies.
- The news media were totally shocked by the result. This shows how "out of touch" they are with what is happening in Palestine. Living there is not very comfortable, so they tend to watch from a distance.
- George Bush is the champion of democracy, but he will not deal with a democratically elected government, although Hamas got 53 percent of the vote, more than the 51 percent that GW got in his last election.
- George Bush will not deal with a government that has a military arm, even though his military arm has killed thousands of innocent civilians in Iraq. I know: he is setting the Iraqi people free; but isn't Hamas trying to get freedom for the Palestinian people.
- According to US intelligence, Israel funded Hamas during the 1970s and 1980s. They took this action to undermine the PLO, which was secular. Now their agent has become their enemy.
- The Israeli government will not deal with terrorists, even though at a least one Israeli Prime Ministers was previously a terrorist. Menachem Begin was the head of Irgun, a terrorist group that bombed the King David Hotel in 1946, killing 91 people. He became Prime Minister in 1971.
- Ariel Sharon watched over the massacre of hundreds of Palestinian women and children in the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps by Phalangist militia units during the Israeli invasion of Lebannon in 1982, yet he is a man of peace that George Bush can deal with.
- Israel established its current boundaries by military force. This makes those who are trying to take back their land feel justified in using military force too.