Sunday, October 01, 2006

Nature of Government

The civil government or state is a person or group of people who have the power to force people to do things that they do not want to do (supposedly for the greater good).

Other groups can make me do things. If I join Toastmasters, they can make me make a certain number of speeches each year. The difference is that if I do not like what they are telling me to do, then I can resign from their organisation. All other groups, except the family are voluntary.

The government is the only organisation that can force me to do things. If I do not obey, they can throw me in prison until I agree to obey. There is not escape, except leaving the territory they control.

We should be very careful about what authority we give to such a powerful institution.

No comments: