Thursday, September 08, 2005

Voting Confusion

Our parliamentary election takes next weekend. My dilemma is that I cannot identify any political party that I can trust with my vote. At this stage my preference is to scrawl these words across the voting form.

Do-gooders becoming Tyrants
I am scared that by voting, I am entering into an implied social contract with the government. If I vote, am I giving the politicians the right to make for the laws for New Zealand. I am uncomfortable with that, because I want to live under God's law. If I participate in the election, am I giving them permission to take a share of my earnings to spend as they wish. I believe that politicians and other people's money are a dangerous combination, so I not wish to encourage them.

No king but Jesus is an ancient revolutionary cry.
A modern translation could be:


No politician but Jesus

No comments: