Monday, October 02, 2006

Government and Order

A common view is that God established civil government to bring order to the world. The problem with this assumption is that power usually escalates without reducing disorder.

Here is how the "order argument" goes. If I am afraid that someone evil will harm me, I can join with someone stronger or a group of people that are stronger and threaten to beat up the evil person, if they harm me. The problem in a fallen world is that there is nothing to stop that strong person or strong group from turning on me. I then need to appeal to an even stronger person or larger group for help, but the same risk remains.

We can put in place mitigations like voting and separation of powers, but the risk is not elminated. If the government is strong enough to protect me, there is nothing to stop it, if it decides to harm me.

This ends with me wanting a world hegemon or world government to protect me from rogue states. The problem is that there is nothing to stop the hegemon or world government turning on me, which is where we are now.

No comments: