Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Caring for the Poor (1) - Key Issue

Poverty is a central issue for Christians. To be credible, we must provide proposals for the cure of poverty.

Many Christians advocate a reduction in taxes and welfare benefits. These things will eventually happen, but we should not even think about these policies, until we have alternative solutions in place and working. Compassion demands nothing less.

In this series of posts, I will outline several biblical methods for dealing with poverty.

1 comment:

Gene said...

This should be interesting since I am severely Mercy Challenged.

I think much of what we do in helping the poor is personal guilt assuasion.

If mercy is binding up those who fall off a cliff, justice and compassion is putting up a fence and warning people the cliff is there, showing them another way down the hill.

Count me in there. I'll keep my silence, but this is going to be interesting.