Saturday, September 20, 2008

Genesis and Creation (6) - God’s Image

The second important truth that comes out of Genesis One is that God created humans in his image. Any attempt to understand human nature that ignores this fact is bound to fail.

This truth blows the theory of evolution out of the water. If man slowly evolved from an apelike species, then he cannot be considered to be made in the image and likeness of God. I am not willing to give up the truth that I was made in the image of God for some claim that I am more closely related to a chimpanzee. This is my stake in the ground.

The fact that humans and apes share common genes proves nothing. There is no reason why God should not use common designs for different specifies. If something works well in one species, a sensible designer would use the same design for another species. Common genes just show that apes are actually partly made in the image of man.

The strange truth is that when I look at men who hate the idea that God created man, I see of the image of God in them than I see of the image of the apes. Okay, the image of God has been marred by sin, but it is so strong that it remains obvious. When I look at them I see the following:

  • immense creativity
  • variety of personality
  • discernment between good or evil
  • a desire for eternity
  • need to communicate ideas
  • appreciation of beauty
  • a huge capacity for love
  • delightful sense of humour
All these things are evidence of the image of God in man, and they are sometime most evident in people who hate him.

No comments: