Saturday, February 11, 2012

Graeber and Debt (1)

I have just completed reading a book called "Debt: The First 5000 Years" by David Graeber. The interesting feature of this book is that it is written by an anthropologist, but deals with the issues of economics. If this is good anthropology, I am puzzled by it. I am not sure if all anthropologists write like this, but this book rambles from topic to topic in a very disjointed way for nearly 500 pages. I felt like a thorough editing would have reduced it to a more readable size.

I also found his approach economics quite strange. He seemed to create a lot of straw men and knocked them down without much point. He would state an economic theory, in a slightly twisted way, and then show that things did not operate in that way in some society.

Graeber’s approach to markets and the free exchange of goods and services is odd. He assumes that in most exchanges one person is ripping the other off. He does not understand that a free exchange only takes place, if both parties get something. That want more than what they had before. If that is not the case, it was not a free exchange.

Graeber puts a lot of effort into showing that Adam Smith ignored credit transactions and over emphasised cash transactions, without seeming to understand that cast is critical to what Smith was saying about free markets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

with myself working in a library as a custodian.. (where God has placed me.. my line of work).. i do pass all these.. isles.. and isles of books.. everyday.. and as i pass them all by.. i cant help but to wonder to myself.. with sooo many books... sooo many words that have been spoken... how in the world am i to know.. what is true and authentic to God and what is not??,.. keeping in mind.. i do use discernment.. but at the same time.. i am not wanting to be mislead in any way shape of form.. so.. as for.. me myself.. i have learned .. not to drift to far away from the word of God.. in all my daily readings.. so as for me.. God has strongly warned me.. not to drift to far away from his word... honestly.. I myself.. have found that the internet.. has been proven.. to be my very best tool.. in the seeking out of god given truths..(from outside of the bible) as the lord has had a better chance at leading me to other various teachings of truths.. from among other fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.. for it was through the internet.. that i have found such sites as kingwatch.. prophetic gatherings.. have also proven to be very useful.. if i ever come across a web page.. that just do seem to sit right in my spirit... off i go.. to seek out another.. God leading the way:)