Friday, October 03, 2014

Islamic state (11) Desert by the Sea

Before his prophecy about Arabia, Isaiah gave a prophecy against the Desert by the Sea. Experts says this refers to an area beside the Euphrates River, which is so swampy that it looks like a sea. This is the area that the Islamic State has been attacking. Isaiah describes an attacker that comes from a land of terror.

Like whirlwinds sweeping through the southland,
an invader comes from the desert,
from a land of terror.
A dire vision has been shown to me:
The traitor betrays, the looter takes loot (Is 21:1-2)
It creates extracts loot and creates terror. Isaiah says that it this will cause Media and Elam to attack (they are modern day Iran).
Elam, attack! Media, lay siege!
I will bring to an end all the groaning she caused (Is 21:2).
Iran will respond to the Islamic State attacks on Iraq by tightening its grip on the Shia regions. The overall effect is terror and fear.
At this my body is racked with pain,
pangs seize me, like those of a woman in labor;
I am staggered by what I hear,
I am bewildered by what I see.
My heart falters,
fear makes me tremble;
the twilight I longed for has become a horror to me (Is 21:4).
Fear and terror spreads everywhere.

No comments: