Thursday, September 28, 2006

WWGD

What should George Do?

How should I know. I do not even live in the United States.
But there are a couple of things that he could think about.

1. George Bush's role is to defend the United States. The biblical rules for this role are outlined in
Defence and War. George has not been appointed as the world's policeman. Tramping round the Middle East in big boots will not bring peace.

2. God does not need to United States to complete his purposes. American civilisation will not save the world. American democracy will not save the world. The United States is currently in danger of becoming part of the
problem. Maybe God has stirred up Islam to bring judgment on the United States Empire.

3. Absolute security cannot be achieved, no matter how much is spent on military power. George Bush may not be able to prevent every attack. If American culture is strong then it will survive. Life will go on. The gospel will advance.


4. A relevant passage is 2 Chron 25:8:

Even if you go and fight courageously in battle,
God will overthrow you before the enemy,
for God has the power to help or to overthrow.

Before going to war, you had better be sure that God is on your side. If he is against you, the strength of your forces will be irrelevant.

2 comments:

Jason Barr said...

I like the way you think, in general, both reading this and the Kingwatch web site. I don't always agree on every little detail, but I think we both agree on some key things, particularly the need for Christians to establish a kingdom politic and economy. Especially I like your thoughts on Romans 13. I found you from Scot McKnight's blog.

I write a bit (though just a bit) at http://propheticheretic.wordpress.com if you're interested. I'm sure you won't always agree with me either, but that doesn't mean we can't have a meaningful discussion. I did a piece on Romans 13, it's back on the second page of my blog.

Ron McK said...

Thanks Jason
I found your article on Romans 13 really helpful. Your point 3 about Nero and the sword is really good. I had not come across that before. That phrase about the sword was really bugging me, because it did not fit with Romans 12. Your explanation makes real sense.
Ron