Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pastor-Teacher

A correspondent asked me why I refer to pastor-teachers in my book Being Church Where We Live? He said that he had experienced many pastors (true shepherd hearts) who are absolutely hopeless teachers, and many excellent teachers who are abysmal at looking after people. My answer was as follows.

The reason that I treat pastor and teacher as one ministry is that this is the way it is treated in Eph 4:11. Paul says that Jesus made "some to be pastors and teachers". He did not say "some to be pastors and some to be teachers". Paul seems to have been quite deliberate in the way that he worded this, although this is ignored by most commentators. (I suspect that they they see themselves as teachers, but are not good pastors, so they want to find a place for themselves.)

It would be nice for someone like me to have the teacher as a separate ministry, but I cannot see how we can do this and be true to Eph 4:11. I think the key is that teaching in NT times was the same as making disciples. It was about teaching people how to live, mostly by them following a mentor's example. If teaching is seen in this way, it merges with the pastoral task. Teaching, in the sense of giving a logical lecture, decorated with some good examples and some funny stories, is not what Paul was talking about.

I agree that there are many pastors who are hopeless teachers. However, the idea that a pastor should preach a sermon to his disciples every week is totally foreign to the New Testament. It is a terrible method of teaching people to follow Jesus.

I think the so-called teaching ministry has been bad for the church. This role has been to the fore ever since the Reformation and its generally tended to intellectualise our faith. On the whole this has been damaging for the church. I am more intellectual than most people (that’s why I write a blog), and I really love to study the scripture, but I am acutely aware that being a Christian is about having a relationship with Jesus, and other Christians. When Chritianity becomes agreement with a set of intellectual ideas, it quickly gets sterile. We need theology, but it is a tool we use to build our relationship with God, not the goal of our life.

The ascendancy of the ministry of the teacher has allowed the intellectuals to control the Church for nearly 400 years. Fortunately that shackle is now being thrown off.

I also agree that there is a place for public communication and proclamation of Christian truth. Evangelists should do this frequently. Prophetic people will do it from time to time. Others may do it as well, but we should not see it as one of the ascension ministries.

I have explained all this a bit more here.

1 comment:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Ron, I like the point you're making here. Christianity is about an interactive and active organic connection of people in Jesus to each other and to the world. Some are more on the teaching side than others. Though teaching in the pastoral sense, is surely best modeled by Jesus and Paul. I think to be a good pastor is to live the life, but also one must be apt to teach the flock. And in so doing they both feed and take care of Jesus' sheep, under the Good and Great Shepherd.